Air coolers are a popular choice for home cooling, especially in areas with a dry and hot climate. These appliances work by drawing in hot air from the room and passing it through a wet cooling pad, which absorbs the heat and evaporates the water. This process cools the air and releases it back into the room, providing a refreshing and cool environment.
While air coolers have several advantages, they also have a few drawbacks that you should consider before making a purchase. In this blog post, we will take a look at the pros and cons of air coolers to help you decide if they are the right choice for your home.
Advantages of Air Coolers:
- Cost-effective: Air coolers are a cost-effective cooling solution compared to air conditioners. They use less electricity and are generally more energy-efficient, which means lower energy bills.
- Environmentally friendly: Air coolers do not use refrigerants like air conditioners, which can be harmful to the environment. They also do not emit greenhouse gases, making them a more environmentally friendly option.
- Portable: Air coolers are lightweight and portable, making them easy to move from one room to another. This makes them a good choice for people who live in small apartments or houses and do not have a central cooling system.
- Easy to install: Air coolers are easy to install and do not require any special installation or setup. All you need is a power outlet and a nearby window or door to vent the hot air.
Disadvantages of Air Coolers:
- Limited cooling: Air coolers are not as effective at cooling large rooms or spaces as air conditioners. They are best suited for small and medium-sized rooms.
- Humidity: Air coolers work by increasing the humidity in the room, which can be a problem for people with allergies or respiratory issues.
- Maintenance: Air coolers require regular maintenance, including cleaning the cooling pads and refilling the water tank. If not properly maintained, they can become less effective at cooling the room.
- Limited to dry climates: Air coolers are not effective in humid climates as the cooling pads do not work well in high humidity. They are best suited for dry and hot climates.
Before we go for pros and cons of air cooler, first, let’s quick check working principles of an air cooler. Because, to understand the pros and cons properly, it is very important to know working principles of Air cooler.
How Air Cooler Works?
Air coolers work on simple air evaporation technology. This technology used for converting water into vapour. There is many more complication in these procedures, but the simple principle is, when water gets evaporated, the temperature of the air goes significantly down, and it comes out as cool air. This is the main working principles of Air cooler to provide fresh the air. However, We also can add ice to make the air cooler according to our needs. But, it is totally optional and not all air cooler has ice cooling functionality.
You can watch this video for the more detailed understanding of “how air cooler works?”
What Are The Type of Air Cooler?
Commercially there are two types of air coolers are available in the market, personal air cooler, and desert air cooler. However, both of these types have the different configuration and use. Below I have explained about both of the types.
Personal air cooler comes with the lower capacity of the water tank storage(10-30 liters). The personal air cooler is preferable for humid weather like near to the sea, or high humid climate regions. Also, it covers the small area compared to desert air cooler. Best for home use, personal use or even you can set one air cooler for small office rooms.
Desert air cooler is for dry climates. Also, it comes with larger water tank (30-50 liter) capacity. It is superior for dry weathers or low humid climates. Compare to personal air cooler, it can cover larger area rooms. However, the desert air cooler is more effective for office, and commercial uses, not a good choice for individual users.
Advantages of Air Cooler
First, let’s see what the pros of Air Cooler.
- Available at affordable price range.
- Low maintenance charge compares to other cooling devices.
- No insulation is required for installation.
- Works for humid and dry both conditions.
- Can cover a large area with the desert air cooler.
- Moveable with trolley legs. You can move anytime.
- Can operate without any stabilizer.
- Environment-friendly cooling device.
- Simple and easy to use.
- Consumes less power and electricity (Only 33% more than ceiling fan).
- Spreads the cool air all over the room, according to its capacity.
- It delivers the evaporated air to your room, which is healthy for your skin and body.
Disadvantages of Air Cooler
There are few limitations are there, those need improvements in the air cooling device.
- Noisy compared to AC or other cooling devices.
- Don’t have controlled temperature drop.
- Always you need to put the right amount of water to works perfectly.
- Don’t provide the instant cooling facility, it takes time.
- Can become very unhygienic soon is not maintained well.
Is it worthy to buy Air cooler?. If you look, cons are negotiable compare to the good features of Air cooler. Depending on your needs, Air cooler works great for personal as well as commercial uses. If I am honest, not all air coolers are good enough. You should always buy good air cooler brands, lower quality brands have fewer features and have many disadvantages.