Table of Contents
My hard drive abruptly stopped working. Just 2 hours ago, my PC was able to read the stored data. But, now my PC is not able to detect the hard drive. I have some really important excel files and work data stored on it. Is there any way to recover lost files?
Hard drives are used to store office and personal data. These drives are handy. But, they are not fully reliable. With time, every hard drive will fall out and stop working. If you have dropped it by accident, you can even lose crucial data forever. At times, the drive may stop working if your PC halted during a read or write task.
But, hard drive recovery is possible. If you don’t use unreliable software or ways, you can recover data.
Causes of Hard Drive Not Detected Error
There are various physical and logical causes of hard drive failure. Here are some of these:
- Power surges at the time of file transfer.
- Physical damage after you dropped the drive.
- Hasty halt of reading or writing tasks.
- Virus attack on the drive.
- Wear and tear of hard drive parts.
- The registry is not proper.
- Bad sectors in the drive.
Common tips and tricks that you can follow:
1. Try Different USB Port
The USB slot of your PC can be broken. So, connect the hard drive to another PC. If it works, then fix your broken USB slot.
Note: The connecting head of your hard drive can also be damaged. If it seems broken or connects occasionally, don’t tamper with the drive. The data can be recovered. But, you need to contact data recovery services like Stellar data recovery.
Reinstall the USB Driver
Sometimes, a computer doesn’t detect an external hard disk because of a corrupted USB driver. However, you can reinstall the USB driver by following these simple steps:
- Go to “Start”
- Enter “Run” to locate and launch “run” tool.
- Type “devmgmt.msc” and hit “ok”
- Find “USB Controllers” in the list of devices displayed
- Right-click the first USB controller and then select “Uninstall”.
- Repeat the steps for all the remaining USB controllers.
- Restart your computer after which the system will reinstall the USB drivers automatically, and check again.
If you have tried all the above ways but nothing works, try data recovery services. In case of severe damage or physical damage, it is not possible to retrieve data on your own. But, Stellar Data Recovery has an expert team and tools to safely retrieve your data.
Hard drives have delicate internal parts. If you try to open the drive at home, you can lose more data. Also, the dust in the air will stick to the drive and harm the device’s components. So, it is suggested to use Stellar data recovery services as they have Class 100 clean room lab facility specially for physically damaged hard drives. All your data will be safely recovered and If recovery is not possible, they follow a ‘No Recovery, No Charge’ policy.
Data recovery tips to avoid data loss:
To increase the efficiency of file recovery services, follow these tips:
- Safely plug in and plug out your drive to avoid breaking the read/write head.
- Don’t remove the drive without ejecting it from the PC.
- If you have power surges, use a UPS.
- Install an antivirus to avoid virus attack.
- Regularly take back up of the drive to avoid losing data.
- Don’t buy cheap drives as they have a short lifespan.
- Always use trusted software to avoid more harm to your drive.
Hard drives can easily crash due to many causes such as water damage, heat damage, bad sectors, etc. But, there is always some chance of data recovery. If you keep tampering with the drive, you can lose the data forever. So, use authorized data recovery services such as Stellar Data Recovery for recovering your data.
With 25+ years of data recovery experience coupled with excellent customer service, Stellar Data Recovery is an ISO SO 9001:2015 & ISO/IEC 27001:2013 certified data recovery service provider in India. They provide 100% safe and secure data recovery services and maintains a high level of data confidentiality. They are currently present in 15 locations in India and having 18 locations worldwide. Stellar, have served more than 3+ Million happy customers worldwide and the services available for both corporates and individuals for all kind of data loss situations. For more information about stellar data recovery services visit their official website or dial their toll-free number 1800-102-3232.
I hope you will enjoy this article on File recovery from undetected hard drive.